Are you wondering what to pair your mozzarella with, once tomato and basil season is over? The possibilities are endless, but here we’re focusing on savory fall flavors in an Insalata dell’Autunno. A Fall Salad with candied carrots, apples, celery and walnuts, topped with your fresh mozzarella! A wonderful fall appetizer or Thanksgiving dish!
Insalata dell’Autunno (serves 4)
- 1 lb. Caputo Brothers CapoMozz (or fresh mozzarella)
- 1 c carrots, large diced or chopped
- 1 c walnut halves
- 1 c celery, large diced
- 1 c apples, large diced
- Lemon juice (splash)
- 1/2 stick unsalted Butter
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 2 tsp. salt
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine carrots, walnuts, butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, ground cloves, brown sugar, thyme, salt and toss thoroughly in a mixing bowl.
- Spread out in an even layer on a sheet tray and bake in the oven, approximately 30 minutes until carrots are al dente (not mushy, not crunchy…just a little bite). Occasionally, stir to prevent burning and to encourage uniform cooking.
- Stretch your Caputo Brothers Creamery CapoMozz into individual balls, or into the log or baguette shape to be sliced. For stretching instructions, see our Demonstrations page.
- Meanwhile, dice the celery and set aside. Dice the apples and put in a bowl of cold water with the lemon juice, set aside.
- When candied carrot mixture is done, and has cooled, mix all ingredients together. Divide between four plates, garnish with chopped parsley, and top with a ball or slices of the fior di latte.