This rustic pasta dish is one we make sure to order every time we're in Siracusa, Sicily. It's a simple, traditional dish with ingredients a sheep farmer would have on hand - ricotta, pasta and sausage.
Pasta alla Pecorai (Shepherd’s Pasta)
Ingredients to serve 4-6:
- 1 lb penne pasta (or substitute any similar shorter pasta shape)
- 1 lb loose sausage
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 basket Caputo Brothers Creamery fresh Ricotta
- Ricotta Salata Vecchio, for grating
- Warm a large sauté pan. Separately, bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- In the sauté pan, drizzle a little olive oil and begin to brown the sausage.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente.
- When the sausage is browned, turn the heat to low and toss in the rosemary. Cook for 2 minutes, then toss in the ricotta, stirring until crumbled together.
- When the pasta is al dente, remove it from the water and place it in the sauté pan, tossing until combined. Turn off heat.
- Plate the pasta, grating a small amount of Ricotta Salata Vecchio over the top.