This is Dave's special version of Italian Olive Oil Cake (inspired by our time with famous Tuscan butcher Dario Cecchini) but with the addition of our cannoli filling as an icing of sorts. We have served it at many of our Farm Table Dinners (even as a friend's wedding cake!) and many of you have asked for the recipe over the years. So here it is! Make this cake once and you will never buy the box mix again. It is truly our favorite dessert!
Olive Oil Cake Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 shot fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 shot limoncello, brandy, grand marnier, or similar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Oil the 9” cake pan, then line the bottom with cut-out parchment paper.
- In one bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together (flour through baking soda above).
- In another bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients together (olive oil through liquor above).
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking until combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into cake pan. Bake until top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the top, lest it get too dark. If it is heading that way, loosely cover with tinfoil.
- Remove from oven. Remove from pan and set on cooling rack to cool. When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar or add cannoli filling as icing (recipe below).
Cannoli Filling "Icing" Ingredients:
- 2 lbs. of Caputo Brothers Creamery fresh ricotta (about 2 baskets)
- 5 oz powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Place fresh ricotta into your food processor.
- Add powdered sugar and a level 1/4 tsp fine sea salt.
- Blend for several minutes until shiny and smooth.
- Spoon into piping bag and seal.
- Cut the tip off of the piping bag & pipe onto the cooled cake - decorate as you'd like!