Antipasti · Tomatoes · vegetables ·
Sweet Green Tomato Pickles
We have an all-time favorite for you – Brenda’s Sweet Green Tomato Pickles! Don’t throw out those unripened tomatoes at the end of the season, use them for this sweet and savory recipe. These are a hit any time we put them out, and are great in an antipasti platter, as a condiment, or in a salad!
Sweet Green Tomato Pickles (makes about 2 quarts or several pints)
- 2 cups cider or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 cups sugar
- 10 cups sliced (1/2″ thick) green tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- Prepare canning jars
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, cloves, and cinnamon in a large non reactive pot and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the tomato slices and continue cooking over med-high heat until slightly wilted but still firm, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the tomatoes to the prepared jars, filling to 1/2″ of the top of the jar. Add the water from the pot (also filling to 1/2″ from top). Seal and process in a hot-water bath for 15 min. If you don’t want to process, cool, cap, and store in the refrigerator.
- Will keep for 6 months in the refrigerator.