We have a great ricotta-based dessert for you, just in time for the holidays! It’s an easy and delicious Torta al Ricotta, or Ricotta Cheesecake, with an easy butter crumb crust and topping. Order or pick up some of our ricotta today to make this delicious treat!
Torta al Ricotta (Ricotta Cheesecake)
- 1.5 baskets of Caputo Brothers Creamery Ricotta
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- ½ t sea or kosher salt, plus a separate ½ t salt
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, left out at room temperature for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the crumb for the crust and topping. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and ½ t salt and mix well. Add the butter. Using your hands, work the butter into the dry ingredients until it becomes clumpy. Too fine and dry, add more butter. Too buttery, add a little more flour and sugar if necessary.
- Make the ricotta filling. Place the ricotta, lemon zest, ½ t salt and powdered sugar in food processor and process until smooth. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter.
- Grease a pie pan with butter, then press half (or more if needed) the crumb mixture into the pan to form the lower crust and sides.
- Spoon the ricotta mixture into the pan and smooth out with a rubber spatula.
- With remaining crumb, crumble it by hand over the top of the ricotta. You should cover it completely, but leave little spots of ricotta visible. It doesn’t have to be a sheet of crumble over the top, just a robust sprinkling.
- Bake in oven about 17 minutes until crumb starts to brown a bit. Give the pan a shake – you want it to be a tiny bit jiggly in the middle. When both of those things happen, remove from oven (again, right around 20 minutes). Cool.
- Slice, eat and enjoy! Top with fresh or sugared strawberries, freshly whipped cream, sifted powdered sugar, other seasonal toppings, or by itself!