Meatballs without the meat! Originating in Calabria, Italy, these polpette utilize protein-rich ricotta instead of meat. Perfect for during Lent, or any time!
Polpette di ricotta - Ricotta “Meat”balls
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 2 baskets Caputo Brothers Creamery Ricotta
- ¼ cup grated cheese (either all Parmigiano Reggiano, or a 50/50 mix of Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano)
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- black pepper and salt
- 2 T chopped parsley
- 4 eggs
- Sauce: extra virgin olive oil, ¼ cup chopped onion, crushed tomato, salt, pepper, or your sauce of choice!
- Prepare the sauce: warm a saute pan over medium heat. Coat with olive oil. Then toss in the onion and cook until translucent. Add the crushed tomato, salt and pepper to taste and simmer.
- Meanwhile, make the polpette. Mix the ricotta in a mixing bowl with the cheese, breadcrumbs, pepper, salt, chopped parsley and eggs. Mix well until combined.
- Form balls about the size of golf balls. When all ready, gently place into the simmering sauce. Continue to simmer, occasionally ladling some sauce over the top.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes and they are ready. Serve gently into plates or bowls with some of the sauce, sprinkling with extra grated cheese or some optional basil.
- Buon Appetito!